Music and The Windy City
Beethoven & Muti, Food & Architecture in Chicago
November 5-11, 2019
We’re traveling to the great city of Chicago this fall, the grand Midwest hub famed for its groundbreaking architecture, outstanding food, and of course the Chicago Symphony. KDFC’s Chief Content Director John Van Driel will provide insights into the four major performances you’ll hear: two concerts by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, one of the finest in the world, both under the baton of Riccardo Muti; an all-Beethoven recital by the great Viennese pianist Rudolf Buchbinder; and Chicago Lyric Opera’s production of a stunning contemporary work, Jake Heggie’s Dead Man Walking, which has riveted audiences around the world.
Chicago is justly famed for its architecture and its food. The Chicago Architecture Center takes us on two special tours, and we will travel out to Oak Park to view the work of Frank Lloyd Wright and his Prairie-style architecture, born in Chicago. Fine dining at some of the city’s best restaurants and a unique tour to different neighborhoods to sample a variety of ethnic foods pay homage to Chicago’s terrific cuisine.
Our home for six nights is the historic Blackstone Hotel where all rooms overlook Grant Park and Lake Michigan. The commentary of Classical KDFC’s John Van Driel throughout the trip and free time to explore more of the city—and shop the “Mag Mile”— complete our discovery of one of the country’s truly great cities in style. As Frank once sang: “Chicago is/One town that won’t let you down/It’s my kind of town!”
To find out more details and information on availability, call Minnie Prince at 1-213-225-7534.
- Prime tickets to four major performances, including two Chicago Symphony concerts conducted by Riccardo Muti, an opera, and an all-Beethoven piano recital
- Private architectural tours by the Chicago Architectural Center
- Private excursion to Oak Park to view major buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
- Private guided tour of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Exclusive food tour sampling different cuisines in different neighborhoods
- Commentary by KDFC’s John Van Driel on all the music you’ll hear
- Optional dinner & performance at famed blues club, Buddy Guy’s Legends
- Free time to shop the Magnificent Mile or take in other Chicago sites
The tour is limited to only 25 participants! To find out more details and information on availability, call Minnie Prince at 1-213-225-7534.